Thursday, November 18, 2010

Everything I needed to know I learned from the MTA - Part II

Enjoy what you have while you have it.

Every time I, or any of us, take the MTA, there we are presented with a view. Some days it's an empty car and we have nothing but subway ads in front of us. Other times, it's a beautiful person that is pleasing to the eye. Other times still, it is something curious or odd that give you pause (this makes up the majority of my views!). Riding the train has made me consider formulating what I probably will call "Replacement Theory" and the premise is that things that are in our scope of experience in life tend to get replaced and the brain does curious things depending on whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. For now let's talk about the downgrades.

There have been countless times that an attractive woman or man has been in my line of sight and I had no issue with raising my head from whatever I was reading/writing and looking around and check my surrounding. Then we get to a stop and that person gets off and someone takes their place who forces me to stare in disbelief or to avert my eyes for fear that I may scar my corneas! Moreover, it makes me wish for the return of the previous person, even if they were marginally attractive!

In life, we have people who come into our sight path, so to speak, and we don't recognize how much we valued them until they're gone. It is most obvious when we speak about loved ones and friends, but what about that teacher that you never noticed until they were replaced by a crappy one? Or the boss you complained about but wasn't really that bad who gets replaced by a real jerk that you can't stand? We have an abundance of people in our lives that we take for granted, not realizing how bad it really could be.

Today, thank goodness for the person on the train in front of u who is at least wearing pants because you never know if the next one is. And be thankful for the people in your life who, at the very least, don't bring you grief because the person that may replace them may be your worst nightmare. Remember: the devil you know may be better that the devil you don't know.

2 comments:

Cosmopolitan Kids said...

Why are you spending your time staring at pretty people on the train? Just put a picture of me in your pocket!

Aisha

Hayden said...

Who said anything about staring....oK fine I was staring...LOL But you already know I'm a starerer! LOL