Thursday, April 28, 2011

So what are you going to do about it?

Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a manifestation of the ridiculous vitriol that has been directed at President Barack Obama. The recent uproar spearheaded by Donald Trump (who I now will have absolutely nothing to do with in any form or fashion) against a sitting president about something that he had no authority to speak on, is abhorrent! Did Trump and the birthers somehow think that all of the secret service and the justice department FORGOT to thoroughly vet a man running for the highest office in the country? And he now struts around taking credit for making this country look like a fool by focusing on this craziness.

I have seen countless reactions to the situation but this didn't JUST happen. It's been brewing and will continue to do so. We have all seen the signs: the creation of the 'tea party', the "i want my country back' slogans, the completely brazen unwillingness of the Republican party to co-operate on ANYTHING regardless of whether find it agreeable or not. This president is under attack and I have TRIED (lawd I've tried) to not believe that it is because he's black. But I can't. Goldie Taylor said it best on www.thegrio.com and on Rachel Maddow's show. We as a nation have gone too far and if someone or some people don't do something about it, we are all in trouble.

Which brings me to the topic of this post: what are you going to do about? The detractors are extremely vocal but what of those of us who believe that this country is being torn apart by its seams and something needs to be done. Regardless of the party or of your politics, no presidents should be the topic of this level of venom. Even the second Bush didn't get this treatment and BOTH parties agree that he was the worst president in recent history! There was no national movement to get his grades from school or his service record or the incident reports from his drunken days! It makes the country look bad when that happens and internationally, we look weak. And that's not just the CURRENT president but anyone that follows him. Why? Because this won't stop if Obama gets re-elected an if a Republican defeats him, the Democrats will be sure to return the favor because politicians are petty and childish adults with power. Period. But it has to stop.

But where do we begin the cessation?  Well I'm going to start with the little things. I have a voice so when I see blatant miscarriages, I'll point it out. I will remove my support and encourage others to do the same from people Donald Trump and anything associated with him. I will encourage as many people as I can to vote for candidates who don't utilize this level of hate-mongering to get elected..  But most importantly, I will not just SMH and muse to myself "dat ain't right what they doing to that guy". It's time for the masses who understand that this is a dangerous road to go down to be more vocal.

So what are YOU gonna do about it?
These are my thoughts...what are yours?

5 comments:

N. Nicholes said...

I will be following your lead. I'm sure that I have a big enough mouth to lend to the cause. It's even more noticeable when KNOWN republicans in my circle of friends want nothing to do with the movement that Trump is heading up.

Cosmopolitan Kids said...

*clap clap*

Anonymous said...

Money is always the bottom line with these idiots. I didn't watch apprentice, but if I did I would stop immediately. Any establishments that support him would lose my, if they had it. etc...

LeonX said...

"Whatever happened, happened." -- Daniel Faraday

The first step is to begin to become proactive rather than reactive. There's no one big thing that we can do, but there are a lot of little things that can be done.

Jerri said...

Agreed. I wont watch his show but this guys stacked so I'm sure that won't make much of a difference. But I will continue to be vocal about the blatant disrespect thrown towards our President. I'm sure Trump is not just doing this for his show, probably more because the taxes President Obama is pushing will effect him more than most of us ;.) That's why he wants to discredit him. Those strong in writing, research and opinion should start blogs and such.