Friday, September 23, 2011

Autopilot

I walked to the train this morning like I normally do. Aside from it being the worst part of my day (I hate getting on the train going AWAY FROM home), I don't really remember getting there. I can't tell you where I crossed the street or what I passed on the way there that was out of the ordinary. Essentially, I was on auto pilot: my feet knew where to go but I wasn't making any conscious decisions about my actions. And that definition made me think: what else do I do on auto pilot? In fact, what do we all do without really thinking about it. It's like actual pilots of planes who put it on auto and then go off and do something else while the computer flies the plane. (Normally, here is where I would put in the requisite "flirting with the flight attendants" comment but have you SEEN flight attendants lately!?!?)

On my way to work, I multi-tasked in my mind. Logic dictates that our brain focuses on on the task at hand, takes in the experiences happening right now. However, we have become such a busy society that we thought about the thing that we''re currently experiencing HOURS ago. That leaves us time to now think about the rest of our day while doing mundane things like walking to work, showering, eating... Think about it; how many of us have made things like that routine and can no longer pick out the nuances of the experience unless you notice a difference? Can you recall savoring every bite of your bagel in the morning or are you only aware when something is wrong? What distracted you from enjoying your meal? The newspaper, a conversation, your work space? You would be amazed at how many things that we do on autopilot.

I don't actually know what would happen if we paid more attention to the mundane stuff and lived in the moment for each experience. Could you image enjoying EVERY sip of your coffee and focusing solely on that and not the meeting that came directly after it? Could you image taking in everything around for what it's worth instead of obsessing about what you're going to do when your get to your destination? NYers have so much to think about all the time that this may seem like an impossible task but try it. It might make all the difference in your day.

These are my thoughts...what are yours?

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I agree. There are so many things we don't pay attention to. I was doing laundry the other day and went outside to get something and noticed that the air smelled like my laundry. How many years have I been doing laundry???

It's the little things we ignore most.

anonymous! said...

Did you know we have nerve receptors whose job is to turn off our pilot? Meaning they trigger autopilot? If we didn't have those, you'd never be able to stop thinking about how you're wearing clothes. The nerves in our skin deaden to constant contact!

Honestly, if you weren't on autopilot sometimes, hayden, you'd never sleep! You have so many projects going ALL the time that part of your ability to succeed at so much includes sublimating the rote and concentrating your resources.

However, the next time you get a chance, stop and enjoy a hewitt cookie for me!!!

Nikki D said...

I definitely hear you on this one. Various friends and acquaintances have made it known that I have snubbed them "Not so"! I say...but...when they mention a jogging route where they saw me, or when they have had to just stand in front of me and shout my name then...yeah, I guess I do. But it's not intentional. When I am going somewhere, I am like a soldier on a mission - to get to destination X, with no distractions. So yes, I go on autopilot during my travels.

Now there are some experiences I savor...reading and eating :-)

But I definitely need to do better in enjoying the present. At times I have flashbacks, particularly to my childhood, and I regret the things I autoppiloted/took for granted. But I plan to do better enjoying these present moments, which although insignificant at first, may turn out to be a treasure years down the memory lane.

Yup, I definitely hear you.

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: Ive been meaning to read this and just never got a chance. Its an issue that Im very interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a wonderful blogger, 1 of the most effective that Ive seen. This weblog undoubtedly has some facts on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.

Hayden said...

Thank you all for your commentary. I'm glad you appreciate my insight and added you own!