Friday, September 16, 2011

We're being watched...

I love my wife and she loves me. When we go out into the public, that fact is pretty obvious. Also, because we have a similar sense humor, we seems to enjoy each others company. My wife is pretty independent in the same way that I am so we also don't have to be stuck up under each other at events either. Generally, you don't get sick of us being all lovey dovey in public to prove that we're happy together. We both are also business minded people so we also rely on logic to run our household which makes it seem efficient in people's eyes.

Why am I saying all of this? Well rest assured that I am NOT trying to toot my own horn. In fact, just the opposite! All of the aforementioned things have led people to dub our marriage as 'perfect' and there are people who use my wife and I as the standard for what a good Black marriage/family should be. These are not my descriptors: we have been told this many times. It's flattering and we are honored that people look at us in that fashion at all. We appreciate the love. But here's the kicker: we not perfect...at all. We fight, I get on her nerves and she annoys the crap outa me as well. We disagree on a great many things. Sometimes we disagree amiably and then other times we're childish. But in our eyes, THAT'S a real marriage. The good AND the bad. We just do a really good job of not putting our business on 'front street' (aside from this blog, of course).

That brings me to the 'perfect marriage' moniker. That's a heavy title to wear because there is a lot of pressure to not destroy people's images. There are days that we are having a bad time and rather than expose people to that side of our love, we choose to stay home. Don't get me wrong: we don't sit around and say "Can you act like a loving couple at this event? No? Alright, we're staying home!" but it's in the back of our mind. People are watching us, whether we like it or not and if we falter there are ramifications. My current marriage is my second. My fraternity brother and I separated from our respective wives within a year of each other for very different reasons. We have a third brother who is close to both of us and has told me that HE is now afraid to get married because he watched the marriage of two couples, whom he thought were solid, dissolve in front of him. He is now watching my current marriage as proof as to whether it (marriages) can actually work for people like him and I. That's a lot of pressure!!

On the other hand, it's a lot of incentive. The flip side of this is that keeping up with that image encourages us to be the best couple that we can be so that there are good images of Black marriages for people like our daughter to refer to. And not just Hollywood couples like Will and Jada or Ozzie and Ruby Dee who aren't accessible to them but real folk down the block from them. I love the fact that the neighborhood kids love our family and greet us with "Hi Mr. Greene, hi Mrs. Greene, hi Baby Clarke!" Its very Norman Rockwell and think that's important for kids to see as an option for their future. You can't ascribe to something that you have never seen.

I guess the bottom line is that my family appreciates the love that we get from everyone and keep holding us to a high standard. It sets the bar for us to live up to and helps us to be excellent, even if some days my wife hates me for not taking out the garbage!!

These are my thoughts...what are yours?

PS read my wife's blog on the same topic.
Hartlyn Kids Blog

12 comments:

LeonX said...

Keep black love alive, Hayden. KEEP BLACK LOVE ALIVE!!!!

Seriously, no one's marriage should be the standard for all marriages. That's a lot to carry on one's back.

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

HEY - YOUR BLOG IS BETTER THAN MINE!!!

Hayden said...

Not at all baby. It's just different...in a superior kind of way... J/K

I loved your blog!

Thoughts Daughter said...

Awesome sauce! Posted my comment on Aisha's blog but giving the good shout out to Black Love here too!! Y'all are my fave couple (outside of me and the hub ;) )

Hayden said...

Whatdya mean "outside of me and hubby"? I need to be first dammit! LOL

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

You are going to pay for that comment... lol

Austin Powerz said...

Very good post Mr. Greene. I agree whole heartedly. Outsiders looking in never really see what's happening on the inside but what's important is that you stay true to each other and all else will fall as close to in place as possible. Thank you for sharing my sentiment that although this is our second marriages, we proved that although it didn't work out the first time, we never became anti-marriage. We learned from our first experiences and found our true loves the second time around! Cheers!

christine mills said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I loved the similarity with Norman Rockwell.

Mommy Ninja said...

WHAT? Your marriage is NOT perfect? Oh dear.

Roodley said...

Mr. Greene, you have got me reading a blog that is not about technology or coding, only you could do that brother. This is a great post and I love the one your wife posted as well. I have to agree with you frat that people tend to not relieve that a perfect relationship is a working one, to paraphrase your better half they get so caught up in the "perception of perfection" that they miss the subtle way that the relationship works. I have the same issue with my friends looking at my marriage as an example and I have to remind them that they are looking at 12 years of a work in progress not just something that manifested over the last 6years six years since we got married but something that started before that, now I know that time table is long for most but that is what worked for us. I can go on about this topic but I will put the brakes on here. Glad to another couple showing that we are not the "The Cosby's" but we can come close to it.

Annamaria said...

You guys are imperfectly perfect!!! LOL

I love your flaws, your fights & how you can make fun of each other. I love how you go against the norm & do what feels right to you guys without a care in the world.

:-)
God bless & I believe you two will be toghether til we bury you in the backyard Hayden! :)

Brooke said...

Really great post! I tried to post at the other site and it wouldn't let me...so here I am :)

Anyway, what I find interesting - as a single person - is how many marriage that I deem to be perfect are far from it. I was just having a conversation with coworkers who were all sitting around commenting about all the "perfect marriages" some of our colleagues had.

- "oh yeah...well she may seem happy, but her husband is a secret alcoholic."

- "She's been having an affair for 3 years now."

- "Her husband was caught with a man."

The list goes on. So many times people show you what they want you to see, and none of us really knows what goes on behind closed doors. And I'm not sure we should.

"Perfect" is relative, and what works for one couple may totally not work for another. Since I'm single, I admit to looking to couples close to me to see if marriage is something I want to venture into...especially since I've always seem myself as a mother moreso than a wife. My observations and reactions are split - some of my married friends (who seem perfectly happy in their marriages) tell me to never get married...while others, who may not seem all that happy, think I'd love marriage. Go figure.

It's a serious commitment, one that shouldn't be taken lightly. But for those that have chosen marriage, I'm glad you serve as positive role models of what marriage can be if you work hard at it. The world needs to see more couples that dedicated :)