Monday, July 2, 2012

The Real McCoy

As I mentioned in a previous blog, I went to a spa recently. It was a Korean spa and because I knew that it was supposed to be a representation of a particular culture, I began to look for verification of authenticity. And then I realized that I do that all the time. And so do a lot of people.

New York City is the center of the universe. That might be a biased opinion but I dare people prove otherwise! Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, the one indisputable fact is that there are snippets of cultures all across the city. Want an authentic Greek meal? We have that! Need a Russian bath that makes you feel like home? Got that! Want to go to a club that reminds you of the Caribbean? That's here too! The problem is that for every authentic ethnic/cultural/national experience that's out there, there are equally inauthentic places as well! There are tons of place, especially food establishments, that boast of "just like home" experiences that are so far off the mark that it makes you want to sue them for misrepresentation! You can get as many jade lions or steel pans or Kemlin replicas as you want, if you're not the real deal, it shows!

So how do you then determine whether a place is true to the original? Here is my (and probably a lot of people) method: look at the patrons. Are they from the culture that the establishment is boasting to be a good representation of? If not, you're probably in a fake place. If you go to a roti shop and and no-one there is speaking with a Trinidadian or Jamaican accent, LEAVE! If you go to an upscale Chinese restaurant and no-one there is Asian, you're probably not getting the real deal. However, if you go somewhere an there are plenty of patrons from that culture in the place, then you can rest assured that you're in a good spot!

People who identify with certain ethnicities, myself among them, are always looking for reminders of home. We won't spend our money or hang out in places that don't provide a reasonable facsimile of their beloved culture. But when they do find a locale that makes them feel like they are back in the old country, they become loyal patrons...and they tell their friends! Pretty soon it's the local joint and everyone knows their name. So those are the people I look for. You can have your Zagats and Yelp. I'll follow the indigenous people as my barometer of authenticity.

These are my thoughts...what are yours?

No comments: