Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Blessed Pork Chop

There are a few things that make you remember a city: its people, its natural beauty, its architecture. But few thing truly leave a mark like the food you eat there. Whether it's eating the best gelato you have ever had in Pisa or and out of this world cheesesteak in Philadelphia, food defines a town. Nowhere is this more true than in New Orleans. So imagine my surprise that in a town famous for it's po'
boys, crawfish, etouffees, gumbo, and truly Cajun fare, I would be blogging about a PORK CHOP. My friends this was no ordinary pork chop though! Follow me to this epicure's excellent experience.

On the last night of our visit to the Big Easy, we decided to go to Emeril's, his original restaurant. I had been to Dixie many time but I had never eaten there so I figure it was a first that I could share with my family. The menu is revamped but some of the favorites are still on the list. I selected the Double Cut Pork Chop with a Tamarind and a Chili Mole Sauce. My friends, you're going to want to remember that if you ever get to N'awlins. It will make your entire trip worthwhile. It was like nothing I have ever tasted before. Previous to this gastronomical delight, the best pork chop I had ever had was at a restaurant called Fire Lake in Minneapolis. Well there is a NEW champion! It's important to note that I don't eat pork chops very often and I HATE mole sauce. Or at least I did...

The chop itself was enormous. The term 'double cut' doesn't do it justice. I had to include a picture just so you would understand the girth of the meat. There is a knife in the picture to give you a sense of size. The chili sauce with the ribbons of mole was artistically presented, so much so that I almost didn't want to cut into the chop.
Thank goodness I came to my senses, made my first slice, and took a bite. Food can transport you to places (a good, warm, gooey, sweet pecan pie takes me back to Maryland where I had my first one) and that first bite put on a first class flight to The Land of Good Food. It was almost a religious experience and, at the risk of compromising my manhood, I nearly cried. The meat was cooked delightfully and was succulent. It sat on sweet potato cubes that played a worthy second fiddle to the masterful leading player. The each flavor on the pork chop layered on top of the other: the tamarind's tang hits you first, followed by the bittersweet of the mole, completed with the subtle heat of the chili. It was as perfect as one could prepare this heavy cut of pork. The flavors kept the meat meat light and juicy.

I hope you make it New Orleans for various other reasons. However, once you find yourself there, make a trip to Emeril's and get this pork chop. You'll thank me later.

4 comments:

LeonX said...

My colon disapproves of this blog entry.

Sharnise said...

Nice! Too bad I don't eat pork :(

But seriously, I enjoy good food so I can relate.

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

I can attest to the fact that he enjoyed that meal. Really did. Too much. It was scary.

N. Nicholes said...

So, what you are saying is that I should take my husband here.....will do.