Friday, September 10, 2010

Whatchugotdere


So I spend an inordinate amount of time on what I consider to be the most vile method of transportation known to man: the subway! A lot of my posts will be about my trials and trails on the train. It's bad enough that there are dozens of humans crammed together in a small cabin speeding underground, all breathing recirculated funk and fragrances, but on top of that there are are soooo many violations of subway etiquette that it makes it unbearable.

The latest thing that I have had to deal with is an overbearing curiosity for my iPad. I get it: it's new and everyone wants to figure out whether they want to spend money on one. The annoying part comes from the passive aggressive, looking-but-not-looking, over my shoulder glances that I get. Or worse, when you see me CLEARLY working, asking me a bunch of questions about it and stopping the obvious flow that I had.  But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the people scope me out the entire ride and then, just as they're getting off the train, ask me "so how do you like the iPad?" Now they expect me to formulate a full answer before they get off the train. Those people get the thumbs up and I keep it moving!  Then there are the people who want a full demonstration like this is a mobile Best Buy booth and I'm doing product demos for Apple.

The true issue is something I, as well as others, have noted: in this city and especially on the train, we all create our own bubbles until we get to our destinations. Our iPods, laptops, PSPs, Kindles, and the rare walkman help us to zone everyone out and create our little worlds complete with sound tracks. We used to have to stare at subway ads or wear shades to avoid eye contact with the 'crazies'. Now electronics provide the escape. I am guilty of seeking that escape and using the ride home as my decompression chamber which explains why the inquiries bother me.

But serious folks...stop asking me about the iPad! Do your research on someone else! LOL

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, if you don't mind me asking... How do you like the iPad???

Aisha G of HartlynKids said...

Stop being mean!

Hayden said...

Remind me to avoid you on the train, Jenni...