Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sleepless in the Apple

This morning I woke up at 6:00am which is early for me (don't judge me!). As I managed to find my phone in pitch black room to turn the new age alarm, I heard someone deactivate their car alarm on the street outside my window. Here I was grumpy that I was WAKING up at 6:00am and some poor soul had already risen, gotten ready, and was about to get in their vehicle. Or maybe that was an alarm being ACTIVATED and that poor soul was actually returning home. Or maybe that wasn't a poor soul at all and they were returning from a party! I reminded me that New York is unlike any other place on the planet.

In almost every other place, there is a norm when it comes to times of activity. People mostly rise in the morning during the week in time to go to jobs that have work hours that resemble 9-5. Not NYC. Countless times I've been on the road late at night and wondered why the road was FULL of other cars. Where were they all going at this ungodly hour, I always wondered. They truth was I was on the same road WITH them so they may be wondering the same thing about me! I've ridden the train in the middle of the night with full cars. There is a rush hour on NYC roads 6 days out of 7 and you're libel to run into traffic at 2:00am. It never ceases to amaze me. This is truly the city that never sleeps.

These are my thoughts...what are yours?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually LOVE early-morning activity! I like how silent the city feels when being out that early. I just feel so at peace.