Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year and New Things and the stuff that got you here.

I imagine that almost everyone will be doing a New Years post and talk about the things that they will do differently in the new year. It is a bit of a tradition in most cultures. I'm no different however, I think it's important to remember to do the things in last year that have been successful and got you to the point where you CAN try new things. So here I go.


First let me talk about some of the new things that have already started to happen:
  • The little girl is using the potty! As I see her exploring the world of grown up mommy and daddy, it makes me ask..."weren't you born 5 minutes ago? When did you start acting like a big kid!?!?"
  • Speaking of my little lady, she has now discovered the phrase 'thank you'. She now thanks us for everything but especially for changing her diaper. Now in the world of a baby, having your diaper changed is pretty routine and hardly seems to needs gratitude for. But my daughter thanks me for it. Made me think what things I take for granted in my life and need to remember to thank someone for.
  • This January marks the beginning of the first year that I will be utilizing ALL of the networks and skills that will help to take my photography to the next level. No more "side hustle" attitude. This is the year for me to treat it like a business. Look out for greatness.


Here are some things that I hope to continue:
  • First and foremost, of course, I intend to continue to blog. I start this blog as practice for my photography blog. Over the last couple of months, I have enjoyed celebrating, complaining, rantings, philosophizing, and generating thought. I hope you stick with me this year and check out my photography blog when I launch that.
  • Loving my wife. Sounds obvious but too often we get to a passive level of love with our mates. I intend to actively practice love with her as we approach our fifth anniversary and not fall into the blasé blasé rut.
  • Enjoy the marvels of parenthood and not get bogged down with the challenges. Being a dad or mom is very difficult but extremely rewarding. At the end of the day, you make a decision as to which description of your experience that you will use.
  • Continue to seek out mentorship opportunities. I have been given much and I will continue to seek out ways to give back.


Well that's all for now. Hope I continue to entertain you and make you think. Oh yeah...J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!!!!

7 comments:

Rae said...

Bro, I really love this line: "No more "side hustle" attitude. This is the year for me to treat it like a business. Look out for greatness." I am feeling you on that.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jets: #ohleh'doiiiiiit

Sincerely,
Da Colts

Somethin Special... said...

Fabulous

Erika Jewel said...

Awww, Ms. C thanks you for diaper changes? That's adorable!!!

*hi-5's* on thinking of the photography as a business and not a hustle. That's good stuff. From what I've seen, you're great at it and I know you'll succeed!

Hayden said...

Thanks Rae. I think if you put yourself into a certain mindset, prosperity will follow you. Fortune favors the prepared.

RJ even though you posted anonymous, I still know it's you!! I thought we were friends. Well so much for THAT!!

Glad you liked SS!

And Erika, thanks for the kind words. I can always use the encouragement

Cosmopolitan Kids said...

wow - this is a great post. Especially the part about loving up your wife. Does this love include presents?? Huh? Does it? LOL... Kidding *straightface*

Aisha

N. Nicholes said...

BEARS.

And I love this post.